Sunday, October 2, 2011

Food Freedom (Lindsey)

2nd week of training under my belt! I just finished my 7 mile long run with Heather and Austin. Their training schedule had them running a 5 miler today so the last two miles of my run were pretty lonely. I pushed through though and finished with a 1:13 time. Not too shabby. I'm looking forward to completing our half marathons so we can transition into being on the same training plan. Long runs are so much better with running buddies!

Looking back on this week the thing I noticed most was my focus on nutrition. I have somewhat of a sordid past with food. Like most good Southern families, social activities were scheduled or included a large spread or meal. I spent most of my youth agonizing over what to eat and feeling guilty about the food I did eat. My passion for running actually stemmed from me wanting to be healthier. I'd like to think that the intensity of my eating/food obsession has subsided in the past few years yet some guilt and anxiety still remains.

However, this week I experienced "food freedom." Most of my thoughts about food were geared towards fueling my energy instead of obsessing over what I wanted to eat and then feeling guilty later. I've never thought about food this way. It's always been an enemy of mine, not an ally. This week food choices were based upon what was going to make me feel energized and not bogged down. This meant low fats and little to no sweets and trying to eat as much protein as possible. I've also been reading about nutrition and what to eat in Hal Higdon's Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide and he recommends 55% carbs, 30% fats, and 15% protein. That 55% carbs makes me so happy! I hope this mindset sticks after the 18 weeks I'll be training. It has been one of the most liberating feelings that I've felt in a long time.  

140 days to go
Today's most energizing song on my long run mix: Mc Solaar - La Belle et le Bad Boy

2 comments: