Monday, January 2, 2012

Love song of a Runner (Lindsey)

"So this is the New Year/ and I have no resolutions..." (Death Cab for Cutie - The New Year)

Every year I take stock of the my past 365 days and set a list of goals for the following year. I believe self reflection is critical to growth and making for a happy and healthier life. So when I strapped on my shoes this morning for my 16 mile jaunt (groan) I set out to compile that list.

What did I come up with? Not much of anything. I actually spent the first 3 miles of my run cursing myself and my camel pack: myself for being such a crazy person for signing up for a marathon and my camel pack for leaking down my back. (My pack is pretty finicky. If I don't close the cap just right I get leakage.) Needless to say, it wasn't a fun start to my run.

But I kept going... why?

Zach, my sweet husband, accompanied me this morning on my run. He knew I was nervous and that I had a difficult time last week running on my own. Despite a recent lag in time since his last long distance run, he took on the challenge to keep me company. During my first 3 miles of cursing and self doubt, Zach took every stride with me and encouraged me to keep going. When my camel pack started dripping down my back he offered to carry it instead of me so I could be comfortable. I didn't hand it over because I'm stubborn but his offer melted my cold and angry heart. After that the miles ticked by under our feet.

My mind began to wander about running and it's impact on my relationship with Zach. It was difficult when we were first married to coordinate time to be together with our work schedules, school, hobbies, and sports. We are both pretty active people but our schedules never seemed to overlap. When we moved to Charlottesville for Zach's residency I picked up running races with Heather (see first post). I think running with Heather sparked Zach's interest in running races with me. Perhaps he saw that if we could do it, then he could do it too or maybe he was fed up and wanted to find some way for us to do something together. I'm not sure, but whatever got him over the first finish line in Williamsburg has been a blessing for me and for us. Since then I've had someone to push me out the door when I don't want to go and someone to understand what it's like to be so tired that you can't make it out of bed for the rest of the day. He's been my cheerleader and my running partner. Even when he's sprinting by me to meet me at the finish line, the fact that he's there means a lot. I think it's brought us closer. I know that he's proud of me and he knows that I'm just as proud of him. We help each other meet our goals. (Am I making you feel sick yet?) Sorry for all the sap but I thought it was worth it to share.

Whatever my New Years resolutions end up being and whatever life hands me to deal with this year, I know I can make it because I have my running buddy.

For those of you contemplating resolutions for the year: how about this year you tie those shoes on and step out the door with your significant other? See how far you can go together? See how close it brings you...

Most poignant song from my mix today: All I Need by Radiohead.

Days to go: 47 days

No comments:

Post a Comment