Wednesday, February 15, 2012

83 hours, but who's counting (Lindsey)

I can't believe it, it's down to the wire. 3 more days, or 83 hours, 5037 minutes... who's counting? This past week I've felt somewhat like an addict coming off a high, looking forward to their next hit. Am I actually comparing long distance running to being high? sigh. This week has been a week of mixed emotions: excitement for Sunday's race melts into complete panic at the thought of running 26.2 miles but then they peak again at the thought of running across the finish line. This week has been more tapering and more stretching but I've had this feeling of "ansy-ness." I'm used to spending all afternoon running and now workouts are finishing in 30-45 minutes. What am I supposed to do with myself? Am I addicted to running now? I guess there could be worse things.

I've been trying to keep positive (there isn't anyway I'm going to get through this without some rose colored glasses) so I've been thinking about all the positive changes that training for this marathon has brought me. So here they are:

1) I can now lift my dogs' 50 lb dog food bag like it's a 5 lb weight. - yay for muscles!
2) Running has improved my riding. I rode Mafazi this past weekend and I'm pretty sure she was trying to figure out who the heck was on her back. "who is this chic w/ legs 'o steel and good posture?"
3) I'm learning how to tell the difference between pushing myself and being hard on myself - there's a difference.
4) I'm learning not to cheat myself - I have to do some of the hard stuff to get to the good part. You have to put in the work.
5) I'm learning that I'm a little more spiritual than I thought.
6) Discipline - you need it.

Remember those New Years Resolutions I hadn't figured out yet... well I've thought of one: I want to keep up with my running and cross training. I'm signed up for the Charlottesville 10 miler in March. It sounds like a piece of cake compared to the marathon but I think I'm going to aim to take some time off my PR. Who knows, maybe someday I'll be competitive in some of these races... we'll see.

Song of the week is Take on Me - covered by A.C. Newman - It's the first song on my marathon mix. I'm ready to take you on marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment