Saturday, September 17, 2011

and they're off!!

I've never been a "runner" despite running track in high school. It's always been a hobby of mine but I've never been competitive/serious about it until I met Heather (aka my running partner in crime). A couple of years ago we talked ourselves into running the Marine Corps 10k in Washington D.C. I had never run further than 3 or 4 miles and I believe Heather was in about the same boat. After that first 10k we were hooked. Our next hurdle was the Marine Corps Half Marathon in Fredricksburg and most recently a Half Marathon in Williamsburg this past spring. I remember walking away from the last half thinking, "I'm never going to run further than a half." To be fair that last half marathon was brutal. Even in March, Williamsburg is a humid mess aparently. It wasn't a good showing on my part and I didn't feel good about that race. However, a few months went by and Heather and I were having brunch one morning when she brought up wanting to run a full marathon. A full marathon has been a life goal of mine for quite some time and right then I decided that I wasn't getting any younger, it's about time to check this one off the list. Well it wasn't long after that that the stars aligned over the Austin Marathon. We both had time in our schedules that weekend, my little sister and my sister in law both live there so we have some lodging, Texas in February (glorious weather!)... it all just seemed to add up. A few days of contemplation and some words of encouragement, we were signed up. Heather's sister, Austin, joined in the fun as well. I mean honestly, how could you pass up running a race in a city that shares your name? Thankfully she has already run a full marathon so we have someone to ask for advice, etc.

We wanted to start this blog so family and friends could follow our journey of triumph and tears so please feel free to leave comments and/or send us some words of encouragement. We are going to need them!

Lindsey

154 days to go.

5 comments:

  1. I am in awe of you 3 girls!! You of course have a place to stay here and Paul and I will cheer you on for the entire race (on bikes :)).

    My advice: do A LOT of hill training. The first 8 miles of this marathon can be brutal, mostly uphill, and you don't want to burn up all your energy at the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Lindsey and company! I can sense the satisfaction you all will have when you have conquered this fantastic goal. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You girls are going to kick some major booty!! Good luck to all of you! Lindz, I can't wait to be there to cheer you on! :o) Looking forward to reading about the journey. Kinda makes me want to start blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all will do great, go get em'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am soooo excited for you guys!! This is awesome....I've always wanted to run a full....but bad ankles won't let me so I will live vicariously through you Linds!! I know you can do it! And I better see you in the gym at some point in time for some strength training!! Run like the wind!! Luv Ya!!

    ReplyDelete